Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Blogside Chat: Stacy Overby, author of Scath Oran,,,

Back once again with the blog behavior, friends. And today we have another Blogside Chat with a really cool author I know. Today, our guest, hitchhiking in from beyond that Gagralacka Mind Zones is Stacy Overby, author of the upcoming fae poetry collection Scath Oran, available on September 22, 2042. No, wait, I meant 2018. Hehe. Anyway, let's get to it!



-What got you into the world of pure imagination that is writing?
                A childhood of avoidance. Writing is an ultimate form of dodging things. Seriously, I was pretty introverted as a child and grew up in a family where books and writing played a big part. My dad taught me to love sci-fi and fantasy through the books he bought and passed on to me to read. My mom would come into my elementary school classrooms with stories she’d written for whatever recent holiday. The stories would feature all the kids in the class. I loved it. These things probably didn’t help my introverted tendencies much. Getting old and ornery did a much better job of addressing those introverted tendencies.

-Tell us a bit about Scath Oran.
                This poetry collection takes readers on a journey through the Otherworld. Some of the denizens there you may recognize, such as the banshee and the fae themselves. There are others, though, who are not quite as well known, such as cait sith and the merrow. Even Death himself puts in an appearance before you find the doors back into our world, safe on this side of the Veil. The question is, what will you find when you take this journey?

-What inspired you to write Scath Oran? One too many viewings of Labyrinth? Kidnapped by the Fae as a child? Fae Curse?
                No picking on Labyrinth! I love that movie. I don’t think I was ever kidnapped by the fae as a child, though if I grew up a Changling Child, would I know it? I do sometimes think there are some fairies I pissed off somewhere that have cursed my life—you know that whole “May you live in interesting times” thing. Wait, that’s a Chinese curse. It still applies, though.
                Shoot. I did it again, didn’t I? Squirrel moment. Anyway, Scath Oran came about as a cross between poetry lessons and a challenge I couldn’t back down from. An amazing classical poet friend was giving lessons in things like meter and form—stuff I struggle with since I am a thoroughbred pantser—in one of my writing groups. About the same time someone else threw out a challenge of seeing through an entire project. Throw in the love for all things Celtic I hold, and I ended up with what would become Scath Oran. Which, at least from what I could find online, is a cross of Irish and Scots Gaelic for shadow song.

-When you sit down to write, what’s your process for getting yourself into the groove?
                *Hangs head and cries while muttering “why do I always get asked this???* Wait, you heard that? As you can tell, my process is rather minimal as an organized process. Between running a teenage co-occurring treatment program and a six-year-old at home, processes tend to be impossible to keep for long in my life. I write in between meetings, during swim lessons, while staying up way later than I should. You get the picture. One trick I use, though, is music. I have a variety of playlists for different stories and such I am working on. So, while I’m in the car to and from the various places I need to be, I have that on. Let me tell you, it’s pretty cute to hear my son singing most of the words to songs from the likes of Shinedown, Linkin Park, and Breaking Benjamin. I also tend to compose quite a bit in my head and pray to the writing powers I don’t forget what I’ve got worked out.

-Do you know where your towel is?
                Always! As with all good hitchhikers, I never leave home without it. Never know when it may come in handy. Just ask Ford and Arthur.

-What is your favorite Fae creature?
                Oooo. Tough call. I love the origin stories of the banshee, but cait sith and cu sith are cool. Though, the selkies tend to draw me back. There is something about the way the shapeshifting takes place with the selkies that fascinates me. I’m not sure I’ve run across a shapeshifter who, as a natural part of the process, dons or shed skin to transform. Plus, rather than being this terrible or cursed existence, the selkies tend to be one of tragedy. However, there is one variation I used in Scath Oran. This myth talks about the selkie wife who returns to the sea when her husband’s ship is wrecked in a storm. She gives up her happy life on land to save his life. I know this is still somewhat a tragedy, but there’s a brighter ending in that the selkie saves her husband’s life. I think some of the unusualness of the selkie myths—the tragedy rather than horror and trickery, the gentleness rather than blood and war—are what hold the selkies apart for me. Plus, they’re not a very common creature to read about in fantasy right now.

-When the mischievous Fae descend on you and steal your motivation, what do you do to get your mojo back?
                Go have some fun. Fairies will sometimes steal things when you’re in a foul mood. When you let go of that, they’ll give it back. See, they like having fun and music and such—at least the nicer fairies. If it’s the darker fairies who stole my mojo, then it’s a whole different story. They won’t give it back, so I have to conjure more mojo to replace what they stole. Movies and music are good starters for me. I have a whole board of prompts on Pinterest to play with in the hopes of conjuring mojo. I’m also a fidgety person, so going for a walk, riding my bike, cleaning, or most anything where I can move will help as well. Worst case scenario when these things aren’t working? I take a break, conceding the Fae may know more than me at that point.

-Describe your perfect writer's hideout. Cabin in the forest made of enchanted books? Candlelit room in a tall tower? Faery glade?
                All of the above. But they’ll be on the edge of an ocean in a place where the weather cooperates with me most of the time. I don’t like the cold that much, but snow is a must in the winter. It also has to have room for the family, but enough stuff to keep them occupied so that when I’m writing they’re happy and leaving me alone. I’d need a scribe, too, so I can hang with my family but still dictate stuff—ooo, better yet, a mind reader who only can tell what my story is and can get it written down for me.

-Which magical realm would you pick to retire in?
                Hmmm. Tough call. My first thought is to pick Middle Earth because it’s Middle Earth. Nothing else needed to say there. However, there are so many other cool realms to explore. Bishop’s three realms from the Black Jewels series is amazing. Then there’s Narnia with the animals and fairy creatures and all. But I also like some of the more sci-fi worlds like L’Engle’s A Wrinkle in Time, Stargate-Atlantis, and Star Wars. Can I just build a realm hopping machine so I can visit them all?
-Where can we find you on the interwebs?
                I can be found at: www.thisisnothitchhikersguide.com
                On Facebook at: www.facebook.com/thisinothitchhikersguide
                On Twitter at: www.twitter.com/dontpanic2011
                On Google+ at: https://plus.google.com/+StacyOverby
                On Instagram at: www.instagram.com/mamawisper78
                and on Pinterest at: www.pinterest.com/dontpanic2011

-Lastly, what do you think the question to the Ultimate Answer of Life, the Universe and Everything is?
                Everyone knows the answer is 42, but it’s the question that’s so tricky, isn’t it? I think the Ultimate Question is “How many stuffed animals will it take for my son to settle down and go to sleep?”. Yes, he insists he must bury himself with stuffed animals before going to sleep. Life, the Universe, and Everything depends on that, trust me. (And yes, I know it is really “What is six by nine?”).

Thanks, Stacy! Hope you all enjoyed this latest Blogside Chat! Now, off you go to preorder Stacy's book. And if you read it and you like it, one of the best things you can do is to leave a review on Amazon, Goodreads and places like that. Really, we authors love that! Until next time, Carry on smartly, my friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment